Current Series!

Wednesday, January 16, 2019

What I'm Reading Now

Actually, I just finished this book.  And I have to recommend it.  It's well worth your time and money.

I love a good mystery.  I love a good snarky voice.  I especially love a local well-drawn setting that is necessary to the story.

Last October I purchased a first book by one of our classic mystery writers Christianna Brand.  I'm on a mission to read the first outings by writers who became great.  Brand authored two dozen mystery novels.

Death in High Heels was Brand's first mystery, inspired by an irritating co-worker that she dreamed about killing.  No lie!  It's in the biography.

I didn't get to the book until New Year's, and I've just finished it.  And I was surprised--pleasantly so.  Why?

Well, for a book that was dreamed up as a fantasy about killing a co-worker, it was hilarious!

The puzzle was even better.  For most mysteries, I can figure out the puzzle before the first third of the book is complete.  I figured out this one, too, but I kept reading for the snarky voice of the protagonist.  Then Brand cleverly re-wrapped the puzzle before she unraveled it all over again.  Surprised me!

Here it is:  Death in High Heels, well worth the $7.99 price tag.  Enjoy!

Death in High Heels (The Inspector Charlesworth Mysteries Book 1) by [Brand, Christianna]

While the link takes you to Amazon, I don't receive any monies or anything else from my recommendations.  I never do.  I'm just recommending what I enjoy.  Someday I might recommend against purchasing a product.  Not yet, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and speculations are always welcome. Discourtesy is not.